Dear St. Gabriel Parishioners:
- Archbishop Etienne invites you to come back to Mass. I, too, join Archbishop to also invite you back to celebrating the Eucharist begin in this Holy Season of Advent. The following is part of the invitation letter from the Archbishop:
“…The general obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation (including the Saturday/vigil Mass) is to be reinstated (CIC, can. 1247). Advent is a wonderful time to draw near to Christ. It is time to renew our faith through personal reception of the sacraments and rebuild the relationships and community life of our parishes.
As has always been the case, those who have a serious reason are excused from attending Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2181). This includes those who are ill, have significant health risk factors or care for someone who is ill or immunocompromised, as well as those who have significant fear or anxiety about contracting COVID in a large group.
Be a part of our family of faith. Make the Lord’s Day a true celebration of the Resurrection, and a great celebration of being renewed in his life, mercy and love.”
- We’re entering the 3rd week of Advent Season (Gaudete – Rejoice) – the Rose color candle will be lid on the Advent Wreath. May all of us have an opportunity to truly prepare for Christ’s coming in some practical ways: Set aside time to pray at home, coming to Church, take time to read and reflect on the Bible, the Blue Book and perhaps, share the meaning of longing for the miracle of Christmas in your family and with others.
- Along with the regular Scripture readings of this Third Advent week, let’s also reflect with people of our local Church, the Archdiocese of Seattle, in preparing for a meaningful Season of Grace in the “Knowing Jesus Christ, Embracing His Mission”. Read through these four pages to get an overview and focus on steps 3, 4 and 5 (this week, particularly focus on the 3rd question of each of the 3 categories) for intentional reflection for these 4 weeks of Advent and try to live it out in this Holy Season of Advent & Christmas and this coming New Year 2022.
- A few important dates in the Advent Season:
- Tree of Love (Christmas Giving Tree) – Take a name tag at the Main Entrance and consider giving a Christmas gift for a person in need. Please return Christmas gift by December 14. Thank you.
- Advent Communal Penance Service: Thursday Dec. 16 - 7:00 PM at St. Gabriel, Port Orchard with opportunity for individual confession after the Penance Service.
- Simbang Gabi – Novena Prayers in preparation for Christmas – Saturday Dec. 18 – 6:30 PM.
- Individual Reconciliation:
- Tuesday, Dec 14 12 - 1 PM;
- Wednesday, 15 6:30 – 7:30 PM and
- Friday, Dec. 17 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM.
- Tuesday, Dec. 21 12 – 1 PM
- Wednesday, Dec. 22 6:30 – 7:30 PM.
- The Calendar Year is coming to the end soon. I’d like to take this opportunity “to thank” for your participation in many different ministries and volunteer opportunities in our parish community. Especially, I’d like to thank for your Stewardship of Time, Talent and Treasure in the year of 2021. Please be aware that “all tax deductable contribution” to the parish has to be done in the last week of December up to December 31 to be included for 2021.
Fr. Phuong Hoang