Pastor's Page 2019-07-04
Jun 28, 2019
… … Happy Fourth of July – Independent Day … …
- On this 243rd year of celebrating “Independent Day”, we give thanks to God for the many blessing that our nation has received. Once again, we join in one voice to ask God for continuing blessings for our nation and most especially for all people to live the ideals – “Life, Liberty and pursuit of Happiness” according to God’s way as we share with one another and the whole world community. May our individual family and our whole nation’s celebration help unite us together in a deeper appreciation for this special blessing Day.
- The Church resumes the Thirteen Sunday In Ordinary Time readings this week. In the opening words of today's Gospel, St. Luke clearly states where Jesus is headed; he is going up to Jerusalem where he will be put to death. Just as the Galilean Ministry began with a rejection of Jesus in his hometown, so too The Travel Ministry (9:51-55) begins with the rejection of him by Samaritans.
Without a doubt, Jesus speaks forcefully to us about the call to discipleship, of following him. He invites all of those along the way to follow him, and there are many and varied responses to the invitation. Some will not even listen to him (i.e., the Samaritans) because they are prejudiced against the one who issues the invitation. Some respond to the invitation without fully realizing what it entails. Discipleship is a total commitment, and Jesus wants us to know from the beginning that following him will lead to the crucifixion.
- ---Thank you for your support of Vocations, particularly vocation to the Priesthood, Archbishop J. Peter Sartain ordained three new priests – Benjamin A. Bray, Fr. Tyler Y. Johnson, Fr. Juan Carlos Orozco - for ministry in the Archdiocese of Seattle this last Saturday, June 22. Please continue to encourage our young men and women for ministry in the Church.
- ---As the month of June comes to the end this coming week, the Church celebrates the Feast of the two great Apostles – Peter & Paul - Apostle Peter, to the Jews and Apostle Paul, to the Gentiles. Apostles Peter and Paul loved and had a message for the whole world as they witnessed and died in Rome. This special feast day reminds us of our unity in our Church throughout the world.
There will be a second collection – Peter’s Pence Collection – taken for the work of Our Holy Father – Pope Francis – Ministry in the world. Participation in the Peter’s Pence Collection gives us an opportunity to be a witness of charity to our brothers and sisters around the world. Gifts to this annual collection help our Holy Father, Pope Francis, to support victims of war and natural disasters and help those most in need of assistance.
From 1 Corinthians 13:7 “Charity bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things”.
- ---It’s not too late to participate in the Annual Catholic Appeal this year; please see the reporting through the indication with the “thermometer” in the entrance of the Church for the update. “Thank You” for many families who continue to support our parish in the Annual Catholic Appeal this year by turning in your envelops already”; please join with your fellow parishioners to support the ACA by returning your completed envelops. Any amount, small or large, will help our parish goal.
- ---Come and join the Guamanian Club of Bremerton & Vicinity and the Chamorro community from our Parish to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Guam. This celebration will be held at St. Gabriel Parish on Saturday – July 6, 2019 with a Rosary at 5:30 PM; 6:00 PM Procession and Mass at 6:30 PM. All Are Welcome to attend the Reception after Mass, Pot Luck style, bring your favorite dish to share at the Community Room.
- ---While enjoying the “Summer rest”, please don’t forget our parishes – Gabriel and Prince of Peace. Also, consider Summer Bible School for your children; please check the bulletin for more details.
Fr. Phuong Hoang